Goldcliff.jpg

Welcome to the smallest and perhaps the simplest of the churches within our group.  The nave and chancel, although restored (circa. 1880), date from sometime after 1424 when Goldcliff priory, located approximately one mile south-east on the coast, was destroyed by a storm.  It is possible that some of the limestone blocks used to build this church came from the remains of the priory.  The western tower seems to date from the 18thcentury, or even as late as the early 19th century and may be contemporary with the ceiling and cornice of the nave and chancel.  The chancel arch is a Victorian insertion, the building having originally been a single cell.  The tower contains one bell, recast by Taylors of Loughborough in 1969.  The font is medieval and has an 18th century cover. A brass on the north wall of the nave records the great flood of 1606/07 and the loss of property and life and makes interesting reading.

St Mary Magdalene's, Goldcliff

Banner.jpgBenefice_font.jpg