St Mary The Virgin, Magor
The largest and most ambitious church of this group, Magor church was originally dedicated to St. Leonard until the restoration of the building in 1868, during the incumbency of Revd. Arthur Cardinal Saunders.  The oldest parts of the church are the chancel and tower which date from the 13th and 14th centuries, although a church is purported to have been founded here as early as the 7thcentury by Cadwaladr Fendigaid who was a Welsh prince.  The large nave with both north and south aisles was rebuilt in the 15th century.  The elaborate north porch was added possibly as late as 1510-1520 and it can be seen how the north aisle had to be adapted to allow for the addition of the porch.  The porch has a room above, sometimes called a parvise or priests room.  It later served as the village school and still retains its fireplace!  Other features of note are the 15th century font, the fine stone vaulted ceiling of the porch and the stained glass windows, including one by Kemp, whilst modern glass in the south chancel window is a most attractive addition.  The tower contains a ring of six bells dating from various periods from the 18th century to as recent as 1985.  They were re-hung in 1979, in a completely new frame and fittings and are rung regularly



Banner.jpgBenefice_font.jpgMagor_church.jpg